Sunday, January 29, 2006

God's Debris

Sometimes it's hard to draw the line between an elegant minimalism and appeal to straw men. An excerpt from God's Debris by Scott Adams:

"So where is free will?" he asked again.
"It must involve the soul." I didn’t have a better answer.
"Soul? Where is the soul located?"
"It’s not located anywhere. It just is."
"Then the soul is not physical in nature, according to you," he said.
"I guess not. Otherwise someone probably would have found physical evidence of it," I said.
"So you believe that the soul, which is not physical, can influence the brain, which is physical?"
"I’ve never thought about it in those terms, but I guess I do believe that."
"Do you believe the soul can influence other physical things, like a car or a watch?"
"No, I think souls only affect brains." I was crawling out on a limb with lead weights strapped to my belt.
"Can your soul influence other people’s brains, or does it know which brain is yours?"
...

No comments: